Shooting Sports is for youth who are interested in shooting & natural resource conservation.
4-H Shooting Sports
2020 Winter Northeast Regional 4-H Shooting Sports Workshop
The New York State 4-H Shooting Sports program fosters responsibility and helps youth acquire and enhance knowledge, skills and abilities. 4-H Shooting Sports also seeks to develop social skills and leadership techniques while providing a broad range of opportunities for community service.
Human growth and development is the primary goal of the 4-H Shooting Sports Program. Introducing safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment opens valuable vocational and life-long recreational education.
Shooting Sports is for young people who are interested in shooting and the conservation of natural resources. Most groups plan outdoor oriented community service projects, promote habitat improvement and develop a better understanding of the natural environment.
All 4-H Shooting Sports Leaders attend 4-H Shooting Sports training and are certified and go through a 4-H volunteer clearance process.
TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR SAFE 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS
- Treat every firearm and bow with respect.
- Watch the muzzle or arrow point. Always be in control of the direction the bow or firearm is pointed, even if you stumble.
- Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions, and that you have only the proper ammunition or arrows for the gun or bow that you are shooting.
- Be sure of your target before you pull the trigger or release arrow; know your backs top or DON’T SHOOT!
- Unload guns and take arrows off the string when not in use. Carry guns and bows in cases, UNLOADED and secure.
- Never point a bow or firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. AVOID ALL HORSEPLAY!
- Never climb a fence or tree or jump a ditch with a loaded firearm. Never pull a gun toward you.
- Never shoot at a target on a flat, hard surface or water. Be sure of your target before you squeeze the trigger or release the string.
- Store guns and ammunition or bows and arrows separately beyond the reach of children or careless adults.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages or any type of drug before or during shooting. If such actions are observed in others, do not join that group. Enjoy your sport safely.
Last updated February 25, 2020